I am a big fan of simple recipes in Summer, and this one is no exception. Roasting the vegetables is the most time consuming part, but once they’re peeled and chopped you can put them in the oven and go about your business for the next 40 minutes (or so). Healthy and very adaptable, this will be a regular offering on our summer table again this year.
Roast Vegetable Salad (serves four)
Time Approximately 60 minutes (20 minutes prep time and 40 minutes roasting time).
1 medium sweet potato
2 large potatoes
Half a small butternut pumpkin
Mixed lettuce leaves
1 Lebanese cucumber
Six cherry tomatoes (halves or quartered)
Half a red capsicum
Half a packet sprout mix (sprouted lentils and chickpeas)
1. Wash and peel potato, sweet potato and pumpkin.
2. Chop vegetables into small pieces.
3. Place in roasting pan and lightly drizzle with oil.
4. Place into oven pre-heated to 180 degrees Celsius and cook for approximately 40 minutes or until brown and crispy.
5. While the vegetables are cooking, rinse and chop the remaining vegetables and place in a bowl.
6. Allow the roast vegetables to cool, then mix through the cold salad mix.
7. Serve with a piece of bread if you wish.
This salad has so many variations, which is one thing I love about it. I have previously roasted chickpeas and capsicum, and have also added walnuts and pine nuts. Feel free to adapt it to your tastes, and add your favourite salad ingredients. It is a very filling dish, and being able to add protein through the chickpeas and lentils is great. If you eat meat you could easily add some chicken pieces, but to be honest it is lovely on it’s own!
Do you have a favourite salad recipe? What will you be serving in your salad bowl this Summer?