One of my New Year’s aims is to try new recipes, rather than getting stuck in the same/same meal rut that we usually end up in. Our lovely neighbours gave us the new Jamie Oliver book Save With Jamie for Christmas, and there are a great variety of vegetarian recipes in there, which had me cheering! The first recipe we decided to try was the rainbow salad, served with cous cous. It normally includes sesame feta fritters, which I chose to omit because the two smallest members of our house have a dairy allergy. Instead, I cooked a Fry’s vegetarian schnitzel and served it along side the salad. It was a nice addition, and a good alternative to the feta. This was an incredibly easy recipe to make, and is a perfect mid-week meal. The salad would also be a lovely accompaniment for a BBQ. While the cous cous is very light, it’s also a filling meal and the left overs would be great for lunch the next day.
Jamie’s Grated Rainbow Salad (vegan style)
Serves four. Please note that this is my altered version of this recipe. For the original, be sure to pick up Save With Jamie.
1 cup cous cous (follow cooking directions on pack)
1 pita bread (crisped in oven)
1/2 a cucumber
1/2 a red capsicum
Half a tin of beetroot, thinly sliced (you could also grate raw beetroot)
2 sticks of celery
1 Fry’s vegetarian schnitzel (optional)
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees. Cook vegetarian schnitzel until brown.
2. Cook cous cous following directions on packet, and set aside ready to fluff up.
3. Grate carrot and cucumber, finely chop capsicum, celery and beetroot.
4. Place pita bread into oven to crisp.
5. To make dressing, place olive oil and red wine vinegar into a jug or dish. Stir until combined. Add oregano and stir again.
6. Arrange cous cous on serving plate, and put vegetables on top. Break pita bread into small pieces and serve with salad. Slice vegetarian schnitzel or meat alternative ready to serve.
7. Serve onto individual plates, and top with dressing if desired.
I hope you enjoy this super easy recipe. I will be bringing you a few new recipes over the next couple of months. Stay tuned!
Have you tried any new recipes lately? Are you a Jamie Oliver fan?