I have been a lover of tartan from way back. My family has Scottish heritage, so I feel that it is in my blood. Tartan does not have to mean kilts and tam o’shanter hats – this Winter it is on trend and there are lots of fashionable options. The pattern is not only coming through in accessories, but you can also find skirts, shirts and a good old pair of tartan troos (trousers)!
Let’s go shopping in the latest edition of Style Unearthed’s series trying a trend – tartan!
1. ASOS High Waist Trousers – $55.45 (on sale, with free shipping). I love the dark tones used in these pants. They would be perfect for work, and could be teamed with ballet flats or loafers. They are currently out of stock, but keep you eye out for a new shipment!
2. Ness DOT Small Cross Body Bag – £24.99. Ness was founded in Edinburgh in 1996, and brings tartan to the high street. It offers lots of cute clothes and accessories, and has some fun with the traditional print.
3. Boohoo Rochelle Tartan Trousers – $45.00. These relaxed fit trousers would be perfect for a weekend brunch. You could style them with a tucked in, relaxed white tee.
4. Lyle and Scott Tartan Gloves – $41.59 (on sale). I just picture these cute gloves peeping out of the sleeves of a Winter coat. They are made from a wool mix fabric, and would be perfect for keeping your hands toasty warm.
5. Pull & Bear Slipper Shoes – $30.70 (on sale). While these do have a touch of the ‘old man slipper’ look about them, they would look very cute with some dark skinny jeans and a blazer. They are a loafer-style shoe, which is a very on trend shape at the moment. Loafers are also ridiculously comfortable.
6. ASOS Midi Skirt – $55.45 (on sale). While tartan skirts normally scream ‘school uniform’, this midi length skirt with small box pleats is fashionable and on trend. Pair it with a dark coloured tee, or knit and pumps or ballet flats for a cute work look.
7. Tartan scarf by Twyggi on Etsy – $71.21. A scarf is a perfect way to integrate a trend into your wardrobe if you’re nervous about trying something for the first time. The mix of wool and silk would make the scarf soft and snuggly – perfect for cool Winter days.
8. ASOS Shirt in Classic Tartan Check – $49.51. This classic cotton shirt is very versatile. It would look great dressed up with a suit for work, or down with skinnies, ballet flats or ankle boots.
Wearing Tartan Tips
– Pair tartan with block colours like white, black, bottle green or navy blue. Most tartans will have several colours, so you will be able to play up certain shades.
– Consider how you are styling your tartan. A skirt probably won’t look best with box pleats, a Peter Pan collared blouse and black Mary Janes – you will be taken right back to reminisce about your school uniform! Try a cool tee and some low pumps.
– If you want to integrate the trend into your wardrobe, but can’t pluck up the courage to try trousers or a dress, try some accessories first. A cute pair of loafers with jeans, or a scarf tucked into your Winter coat will add a point of interest to your outfit and help you try something different.
Which trends will you be trying this Winter? Will you wear some tartan?