Do you have any style icons? I first wrote about the women I look to in the style stakes – Coco Chanel, Kate Winslet, Michelle Obama, Cate Blanchett, Emma Watson and Catherine Middleton – in this post. They all have classic style with the occasional red carpet risk, and their every day style seems attainable. In the coming weeks I will focus on different style icons. If you would like me to write about, please let me know.
Today I am going to focus on the style of the most photographed member of the royal family – the Duchess of Cambridge, Catherine Middleton. I am also lucky enough to be teaming up with a brand spanking new website, Shopolla, to emulate her style and also give away a little something to one of you.
When Googling Catherine I found a reoccurring theme with her images from her recent Australian and New Zealand tour- blazers, Breton stripes, wedge shoes and slim fitting pants. Most of these are items are classic wardrobe staples and can be worn in so many different ways. Catherine appears to favour navy and neutral clothes, with a pop of colour.
While writing fashion posts I usually trawl websites looking for items to include in mood boards. For this post, Shopolla asked me to use them as a one stop shop for all things fashion. Shopolla is a brand new website, offering current season stock of American brands direct to Australia for great prices. All items used in this post can be found on their site.
1. 7 For All Mankind The High Waist Skinny – $242.93 | 2. Michael Stars Downtown Crew Neck – $82.26 | 3. Jag Jeans Prep Blazer – $114.40 | 4. Salvatore Ferragamo Wristlet – $359.90 | 5. Stuart Weitzman Corkswoon (exact match) – $511.57 | 6. Kate Spade New York Abstract Bow Infinity Scarf – $164.52 | 7. Marc by Marc Jacobs Katie Cuff Bracelet – $113.11
How can I dress like Catherine Middleton?
1. Buy classic. Purchase clothes that can work with other things as part of a capsule wardrobe. Staples in classic colours like navy, white and cream will make it easy to mix and match. Classic accessories in a variety of metals can be featured on their own, or stacked together. A good pair of skinny or straight leg jeans will never go out of style, and Breton stripes are also here to stay.
2. Invest in a blazer. Hunt down a well-fitting blazer that makes you look (and feel) great. The length and fit you settle on will depend on your body shape, so make sure you try on different styles to see what suits you prior to purchase. Check the fit on your shoulders and arms, and consider buying up a size for ease of movement, or if you intend to layer it over other items. The blazer pictured above would be perfect for Winter, but there are plenty of options in a lighter fabric for the warmer months.
3. Add a pop of colour. Bright or interesting accessories can add a talking point to your outfit. Whether you choose a funky bag, cute hat or statement piece of jewellery, a bright accessory will help you stand out from the crowd. The Kate Spade scarf featured above matches the navy and white of the striped top, but the pop of red adds something a little different to the outfit. You could also try clashing a scarf in another print with the stripes, or choose a very bright colour.
What is Shopolla?
Shopolla boast the biggest collection of American clothes, accessories and footwear for the whole family, available direct to Australia. With free shipping on orders more than $79, and a postage service that will get your package to you within five to seven days, I think it’s going to be a dream! There is a 100 day return policy to an Australian address so you can shop with confidence, and prices are constantly monitored so you can feel confident that you are receiving the best deal. The company also has a social conscience, donating $1 of each sale to an Australian charity. I have always loved shopping on American websites, often having to use a package forwarder, or being restricted by what could and couldn’t be sold in Australia. Shopolla will remove the middle man (at reasonable prices) and I can’t wait to watch them grow!
You mentioned a giveaway?
The lovely people at Shopolla are offering a $100 voucher to one lucky reader. To be in the running you will need to do some virtual window shopping.
1. Head over to Shopolla’s website here and have a browse while thinking of your favourite celebrity.
2. Once you find something that mirrors their style, comment on this post with the celebrity’s name and link to the item that you found.
I will pick the best celebrity inspired item and announce the winner on Saturday 6 September, 2014. Good luck!
* I was given a voucher to spend at Shopolla in return for writing this post. You can find the Style Unearthed disclosure policy here.
*** Congratulations to Michelle M, who is the winner of a $100 Shopolla voucher! She chose to emulate Jen Hawkins’ sunny style, with a pop of colour. Please check your email Michelle so I can arrange to send you your voucher. Thank you to everyone who entered – there were some fantastic outfits chosen! ***