Since April, we have had early morning weekend wake ups on Saturday and Sunday, thanks to swimming lessons and AFL. While it’s fun to watch the kids learn to swim, and to kick around a footy, I wouldn’t say no to a sleep in and a lazy Sunday breakfast! AFL has come to an end for the season, and last Sunday I was able to get into the kitchen and make a perfect weekend breakfast – French toast. Normally Mr Style Unearthed is in charge of fancy breakfasts, and makes a mean stack of pancakes, but the toast has become my speciality.
The first time I tried French toast was when I was in Canada, aged 11. It was a holiday of different food experiences – full English breakfasts with fried toast (so good, but not for the arteries!), maple biscuits in Canada, and breakfast doughnuts in America. I’ve always had a soft spot for the savoury and sweet flavours, and prefer mine piled with fruit and a good splash of maple syrup.
Tasty French Toast
– day old white bread (I love pane de casa, but this is also awesome with fruit toast or even banana bread to be extra indulgent)
– three eggs
– 2/3 cup of milk (we use rice milk to make it dairy free)
– a splash of vanilla essence
– maple syrup
– fruit of your choice, to serve
1. Crack and whisk three eggs into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the milk, and whisk until combined with the eggs.
3. Dip the bread into the egg wash, and briefly allow the mixture to soak in.
4. Grease a fry pan with a small amount of butter or margarine, and place the bread in. Cook evenly on both sides, until golden brown.
5. Serve hot with fruit and maple syrup (or your choice of toppings).
This is such an easy breakfast, but absolutely delicious. It’s a hit with the whole family, and could almost pass as nutritious! I think we will have a repeat serving for Father’s Day breakfast on Sunday.
What is your favourite weekend breakfast? Are you keen to share your recipe?
* Today is your very last chance to enter the Shopolla giveaway. Tell me about your style icon here, and find a piece of clothing that would suit them on shopolla.com.au to be in with a chance to win.