We had some friends over for lunch on Australia Day, and asked one couple to bring a salad to share. They always serve beautiful food, and this salad was no exception. It’s an easy recipe to make, but has a combination of beautiful flavours. It’s a definite dinner (or lunch!) winner. If you have a Costco near you, and are making this salad for a large number of people, consider buying their box of lettuce. At $10 a box, it’s a bargain, and it is huge!
Fig and Mixed Green Salad
Ingredients (serves 6)
– 1 bag mixed salad leaves
– 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
– 1 Lebanese cucumber
– a handful of snow peas
– 1 bunch spring onions/eschallots
– six figs, quartered (I have used nectarines when I couldn’t find figs)
– a handful of pecans (roast in a 150 degree oven for five minutes)
– 1 bunch asparagus, chopped and blanched
– 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar (can be substituted for strawberry or white wine vinegar if you can’t find raspberry)
– 150mL olive oil
– 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
– 2 tablespoons honey
– 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
Measure all the ingredients in a jar, and shake to combine, and pour over the salad.
What is your favourite salad? Care to share the recipe?